In need of a boat

Looking to BUY,SELL or TRADE any of your fishing equipment? Post it here.
Bink
800 series

Re: In need of a boat

Post by Bink »

ltharley wrote:Bink,

Did you purchase that one you posted the link to, cause it has been pulled from the listing?

I looked online and there might be another available. The phone area code was 715, so likely northern WI. Looked pretty nice. Garage stored 88' Ranger with 02' 60 Yamaha. Here is the link:

http://walleye.outdoorsfirst.com/classi ... sp?a=94660

You guys have me considering going this direction.

Dennis
Dennis
No didn't buy the one posted. I have another one lined up... Just waiting on the seller.
"Spoonpluging is a good way to catch all fish but not the best way to catch any fish
ltharley
100 series

Post by ltharley »

Bink,

What was the deal with that last one you purchased? Looked okay.

I sent the guy from that link an email. I will keep you posted.

Dennis
Bink
800 series

Post by Bink »

ltharley wrote:Bink,

What was the deal with that last one you purchased? Looked okay.

I sent the guy from that link an email. I will keep you posted.

Dennis
Dennis
its long story but basically bought the last one to flip. there was nothing wrong with it, I just didn't really like the way the Merc handled. It ran smooth, started great etc... but just didn't turn the boat very well compared to my old Johnson . Have one lined up that's supposedly in mint condition with very few hrs. The guy has been dragging he's feet all winter but says I should be able to pick it up this week.
"Spoonpluging is a good way to catch all fish but not the best way to catch any fish
ltharley
100 series

Post by ltharley »

Thanks Bink,

I talked to the guy that has the one listed with a 60hp Yamaha. He is in Hayward, WI area. I think I'm going up to take a look next week.

As an experienced owner of 680T's, is there anything I should be looking out for, i.e. cracking in transom, hull, bow...?

I have zero knowledge on these and want to know what I am looking at.

John B, if you have any insights...

Dennis
Bink
800 series

Post by Bink »

I would check the transom to make sure there are no soft spots.
Check the gaskets around all the storage lids and make sure they are not dry rotted.
Look underneath the rail where the hull meets the rail on the outside and make sure there are no hig gaps.
Get on the ground and make sure there's no screws poking out( on my old one the guy used a 3" screw to secure the batterie and went right threw the bottom).
Knowing the Hayward lakes I'm sure there's some chips on the bottom I used a epoxy on my last on and it worked great.
Also stick your hand as far in the bilge well to make sure the floor is not soft
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

I cant add much to that. You can tell by the over all look at how it has been taken care of and what she has left. I have had lots of boats, too many to list and the one that I have will be with me till I stop breathing. I have always wanted one and I blame David Barker(I keep telling my wife that) for letting me drive his boat for a few days. Right now, I have the nicest looking 1989 ranger on the planet. The hard part will be trying to keep it that way. John
ltharley
100 series

Post by ltharley »

Thanks John and Bink. Right now planning on looking at it next week. Have one other idea in mind. I'll see how it pans out.

Dennis
Bink
800 series

Post by Bink »

John, post some pictures I would love to se one freshly restored.
ltharley, not sure your budget but if I had the cash this is my dream boat.
http://madison.craigslist.org/boa/4399449551.html
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Bink, I will put some on there when I get it cleaned up. Fran let a bass actually touch the carpet and I need to clean up that spot first. :). I will post some pics soon. John
ltharley
100 series

Post by ltharley »

Decided to go a different direction on the boat. I just ordered a Crestliner boat. New in their line up this year. This is a boat I thought would have been great for years, but no one built it. It is based on the stick steer crappie boats that have been out for decades, but is now offered in a tiller version. The boat is an "Outlook 1657". It is 16' long with a 57" wide bottom, 78" beam, modified V. I am putting a 40HP Yamaha on it. Should be similar in function to 680T. Believe it will be a great spoonplugging boat for the waters I typically fish. Like a 680T, will still make one wonder if they should do great lakes stuff.

Thanks for the input on the Ranger.

Dennis
Attachments
1657 Outlook Tiller-200.pdf
(254.49 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

Some things to look for with these boats...

Rotten floor back by the motor. There isn't much space between the floorboard and the inside hull. It can feel pretty stiff but still be rotten.

Blisters in the gelcoat. On the bottom of the boat it is possible for water to get in between the fiberglass and gelcoat. They can be quite small to bigger than a grapefruit. They burst like water balloons.

Have learned that 680t's are very well built.
As Bink said all the hoses and clamps need to be replaced because after nearly 30 years old rubber hardens and cracks. If you just tighten the clamps you can actually get more water in boat.

These are surprisingly well build boats. As much of a high end manufacturer Ranger is, some of the hardware they use is bottom shelf. So you you'll probably need to change latches and things. Seals are pretty easy to change.
Fran Myers
jwt
800 series

Post by jwt »

Dennis,
Good choice. I've had a Crestliner since 2004. Top notch. Lifetime warrantee for original owner, 20 years for second owner.
ltharley
100 series

Post by ltharley »

Thanks James, always helps to hear you made a good choice based on someone else's experience. I've also heard nothing but good about the Yamaha motors. Think the boat is scheduled to be built mid May. Hopefully have it for Zaborny's outing.
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

ltharley wrote:Thanks James, always helps to hear you made a good choice based on someone else's experience. I've also heard nothing but good about the Yamaha motors. Think the boat is scheduled to be built mid May. Hopefully have it for Zaborny's outing.
My first Spoonplugging Boat was a Crestliner 16 Angler. I toured the factory in Little Falls and they really make a nice boat. I love the look of the smooth welded hull.
Fran Myers
Bink
800 series

Post by Bink »

Anyone have a old Johnson parts motor laying around? I need a tiller handle for 1978-1999 Johnson. Iv boaugt and sold a couple rangers and a tuffy with mercs and just can't get use to them. Looking at converting a 70hp johson to a tiller.