Hello From Africa!

A place to post topics other than spoonplugging.
Fran Myers
JB1

Hello From Africa!

Post by Fran Myers »

Hi Guys!
First of all I am sorry to all. After the day I arrived, I had absolutely no Internet or cell phone access. I had been told differently so I made it known I'd be contacting everyone regularly. Not even close.

Africa has been GREAT!
Despite being told by numerous people Spoonplugging wouldn't work in South Africa, I have proven that this first reservoir is no different than anywhere in the USA. With one notable exception...no TROTLINEs. It is absolutely CLEAN. Now we caught a few fish everyday but we had 2 cold fronts and the large sluice valves were stuck open so the water has dropped over 3 feet in 2 days. So with the water and weather - things were tough.

Being it's prespawn, we concentrated in the feeder creeks and up in the headwaters when we were fishing (when training I went to the dam itself and various sections of the main channel). The first day we caught close to a 9 pounder but lost it at the boat. HUGE mouth.

I have a few pictures but the Internet is pretty slow so I will post them later.

We have been Game viewing the last couple days. I've seen MANY Rhino's, including a Black Rhino. Several Elephants, zebra, giraffe, and many more. This morning we arrived minutes after a Lion killed a big Cape Buffalo. We were no more than 20 feet from 2 lions. Awesome.

I never saw any crocodiles while fishing.

Anyway, I guess we are supposed to have better internet coverage but time will tell.

Write and pictures soon.
Fran Myers
ltharley
100 series

Re: Hello From Africa!

Post by ltharley »

Happy to hear you were not a Croc meal. Looking forward to your pics and stories.

Also hoping you still want to do the Milwaukee harbor for Kings. Mid September is when I plan to start hitting it.

Good luck and stay safe my friend.

Dennis
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

I was disappointed in the Crocs. We saw huge slides but we didn't see the actual crocs. They are really shy I guess.

Yes, I am looking forward to going for Kings when I get back. My brother-in-law and our wives are coming for a nice long weekend. It is nice to know you'll get out there before us to see if there are any fish around.
Fran Myers
stephenK

Post by stephenK »

Here is a Goedertrou croc, I was drifting past it and fishing the rocks.
I did not see it, until another bass fisherman alerted me to the fact that it was close to me, about 6 feet. Pictures taken safely at 18feet
Attachments
Croc3.jpg
Croc3.jpg (195.12 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
Croc2.jpg
Croc2.jpg (205.66 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
Croc1.jpg
Croc1.jpg (241.28 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
madporra
250 series

Post by madporra »

Hi guys,
Thanks again to Fran for coming all the way out here. Man - we learned such a lot in the short time he was here!

:idea: 8-)

I will be doing my own report back on our FREE online magazine that a friend and I run here in South Africa (http://www.bassdigest.co.za) and will also post it on here for you guys.

For now, you can go to this link and read my short story about my preparation for Fran's trip, and my hopes that Spoonplugging will change my fishing forever. You will be able to download the magazine too.
http://www.joomag.com/magazine/bass-dig ... 1410195985

Oh, and not to mess up Fran's report, I also caught my first bass on a spoonplug, and HOLY COW, it was my PB!!!!
I'm not going to post photos, I will leave that for Fran to do on his report and then will post mine afterwards.

Just before I go though, here are a few pics of the wildlife that I took pics of while at Phobane Lake (aka Goedetrouw Dam).
Fran's boat
Fran's boat
DSCF3164 (Copy).JPG (365.74 KiB) Viewed 1940 times
My boat :) :) :)
My boat :) :) :)
DSCF3488 (Copy).JPG (277.98 KiB) Viewed 1940 times
Some giraffe
Some giraffe
DSCF3259 (Copy).JPG (466.13 KiB) Viewed 1940 times
Mr. Crocodile. He was about 8ft long
Mr. Crocodile. He was about 8ft long
DSCF3251 (Copy).JPG (427.43 KiB) Viewed 1940 times
Fran enjoying a REAL "braai" (pronounced br-eye) or BBQ as you call it
Fran enjoying a REAL "braai" (pronounced br-eye) or BBQ as you call it
DSCF3494 (Copy).JPG (212.27 KiB) Viewed 1940 times
Some fun with the camera
Some fun with the camera
DSCF3554 (Copy).JPG (293.08 KiB) Viewed 1940 times
madporra
250 series

Post by madporra »

Hi all, hope you guys are well.

Our online magazine Issue 12 was published today, I posted my reportback in this issue of our trip with Fran.
Go to Page 16.

http://www.joomag.com/magazine/bass-dig ... 1412009602

Have a read through Part II and see my trials and tribulations I went through, as well as the joy.

Again, I would like to thank Fran for coming over. In fact, I used to be a co-organiser of the small boat fishing competitions over here. I have decided to give that up so that I can focus on my Spoonplugging and spend more time on the water.
Currently in the process of getting me some spoonplugs and a few line counter reels, and getting my 25hp motor sorted out.

WATCH THIS SPACE!

:) :) :)
ltharley
100 series

Post by ltharley »

Nice article. Stick with it and follow the guidelines. The Green Book is the key.
Duplex

Post by Duplex »

Paul,

Read the magazine article and the very nice report on your introduction to Spoonplugging. I was struck by the perseverance you showed throughout the process; especially enjoyed the comments regarding how difficult it is to keep the lures in position while trolling. Just to let you know, we've all experienced the same difficulties and sense of frustration that you felt. It is temporary. Spoonplugging is a learned skill. You won't experience everything contained in the Green Book on one trip or even one fishing season but the more you apply the guidelines, the more confident and successful you'll be. It boils down to study and TOTW, time on the water. Spoonplugging is the key to satisfaction in your fishing. Fran deserves an ATTA BOY for his effort to introduce Buck Perry to the African continent. Looking forward to future reports. Now go out there and get 'em.

Jim
jwt
800 series

Post by jwt »

Paul, extremely well written article. Your descriptions of the human side of the experience as well as the technical side really add to it. Thanks for sharing it.