A funny thing happened on the Way to South Africa...

A place to post topics other than spoonplugging.
Fran Myers
JB1

A funny thing happened on the Way to South Africa...

Post by Fran Myers »

Ok, I have bought a boat in Africa (2 but whose counting) for my trip. I managed to get the last pieces to South Africa and Howard was able to fully complete the boat and break the new 20hp 4-Stroke in this past weekend. Pictures of the boat are in the other thread. BTW, it is a 20hp Yamaha. As it turns out the company that makes it is named Parsun. Keep in mind Tohatsu builds motors for Nissan, Mercury, and a couple of other outboard companies below a certain horsepower. Parsun does the same thing for Yamaha. Anyway...

After being very impressed with the performance of the boat and getting the required 2 hours on the motor for break in Howard went home. At the first fuel stop he was approached by an American and they started talking about the boat. At some point early in the conversation Howard mentioned a friend coming from America to demonstrate Spoonplugging, talk about Mr Perry, and maybe catch a few fish.

I guess the guy's head nearly twisted around fully. Turns out the guy is a Spoonplugger from Tennessee (David was all he can remember of his name). A discussion of the reservoirs, Bass (the guy didn't know there were Bass in at least HALF of Africa), the size these Bass get, Water Color, depth,...I guess it was quite an animated conversation. Howard said the guy was practically frothing.

Howard told him to book a trip for next year and he would take him out but the guy declined due to the cost and how long it took him to save for this trip but it is really a small world REALLY. And that was the first weekend this boat has ever been on the water.

Night,
Fran Myers
beckman44
700 series

Re: A funny thing happened on the Way to South Africa...

Post by beckman44 »

Fran, that is a great story. This just keeps getting better. I don't know how you can stand waiting for the day you leave. Heck I am jacked up for you. Bill.