Rathbun Lake

site admin
Site Admin

Rathbun Lake

Post by site admin »

It's been awhile since we had a lake of the week...

Navionics has a good HD map on Rathbun Lake.
After review of the map I picked the below area to start. To interpret the best spots according to the map, I looked for structures that had immediate access (or close proximity) to the main channel. When I fished this structure the first day (Friday) I was the only boat out there. My interpretation that this was a productive structure was correct, as I caught (2) 20" walleyes here, and on Saturday this was where most all the local fisherman were at.
On the second map, it just goes to show you that you have to check things out. Although most of the Navionics map was accurate, you still need to check areas out that look so-so. This second spot had 2 or 3 good points off this bar, and the structure was larger than indicated on the map. The big walleye (and lots of catfish) came from this structure.

We have GREAT tools available to us that didn't exist till just recently (HD maps, Google earth, structure scan). When used properly, these are GREAT aids for us.
Attachments
rathbun1.PNG
rathbun1.PNG (207.19 KiB) Viewed 5388 times
rathbun2.PNG
rathbun2.PNG (153.09 KiB) Viewed 5388 times
jwt
800 series

Re: Rathbun Lake

Post by jwt »

Good report Jim. Thanks. The technology has come a long way since Buck did his studies and made his observations, but nothing he discovered has changed; only made it easier for us. The section in Presentation of Lures, i.e. a hypothetical trip on a new lake, encapsulates it all.
Tom Jennings
250 series

Post by Tom Jennings »

If you don`t mind I have a question. In the bottom map, wouldn`t the point with the 11ft. hump produce?
site admin
Site Admin

Post by site admin »

Yes, interpreting the map, it should be a productive structure. I didn't encounter any fish there, but my time on the water was limited. It would be a structure definitely worth checking out!
BV Rives

Post by BV Rives »

I would check out the North part of the old road bed. Bob
NoMuskyJoe

Rathbun Lake

Post by NoMuskyJoe »

Near the 11 foot hump that Tom Jennings referenced, would the four different circled areas be considered a "saddle" ? If they are different shaped between the next depth contour elevation:
#1: "square", based on the deep edge of the point to the start of the hump,
#2: kind of "H"-shaped,
#3: kinda long & narrow (more like a "bar", but depressed instead of an elevated area),
#4: Similar to #2, but kinda more "V"-shaped.

Or, none of them are technically considered a "saddle" ?

Also, how would a saddle be trolled ? Would it be just straight line passes (either North and South, vs East and West), or would that area be concentrated on, but with zig-zag passes in a straight line ?

If anchored to cast the "saddle", would the "target area to cast to", be considered the "corner" areas (especially if there were rocks or weeds), or just the entire middle and it would be cast in a 360 degree manner/anchor in the middle of it ?

Since the #2, #3, and #4 "saddle" portions seems to be more like a deep trench but bordered to the East and West sides by the drop-offs/break lines, it would make more sense to follow the guidelines based on potential fish migration and just start by trolling shallow (vicinity of shore) to deep, at set depths but straight line passes ?

Because this area seems to have access to deep water, I'm trying to understand what area should be eliminated based on trolling to identify/map the structural elements and how they could be associated with the "saddle" ?

As you can see, I'm a complete novice and appreciate your feedback.
rathbun4saddles2B.jpg
rathbun4saddles2B.jpg (144.65 KiB) Viewed 5065 times
Jim Shell
Site Admin

Post by Jim Shell »

The saddles you indicated (#2,3,4) are not really saddle or structure situations. #2,3,4 is the bottom of the main channel, in the sanctuary. Your saddle #1 I would not call it a saddle, although it might look like one, I would not call it a saddle, it is just part of the bar. The structure situation here is the long bar. Follow the guideline, troll the shallows, cast the shallows, troll deep water , cast deep water.
“The day you become selfish in your fishing is the day your fishing growth stops” – Buck Perry
https://www.youtube.com/user/spnplg1
DRH2O

Post by DRH2O »

Jim, I just watched the SF episode where you came to Rathbun. Somehow I totally missed this report you posted when you went last summer. I grew up only 20 minutes or so from this lake and have many many great childhood memories on it. I don't live as close anymore but we try to get down to camp at least once a year with the family.

It was really great to see you come down and do so well your first time there. Textbook spoonplugging right? I know a lot of guys who completely give up fishing for walleye there after spring because they can't find them once the water starts warming up. I'll just start showing them pics of Casey's fish and tell them they're just doing it wrong :) Congrats to him too, that fish was a monster!

I just wanted to say how cool it was to see you on my home waters. The show's looking great. Keep up the good work!

~DR