News paper article

Articles, writings and words of wisdom from Mr. Perry
site admin
Site Admin

News paper article

Post by site admin »

A friend sent me this. Always nice to read an article where they talk about Buck...

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/20180 ... me-finesse
Hal Standish
700 series

Re: News paper article

Post by Hal Standish »

Thanks for the link to a swell fishing story. Toward the end the writer states this "The spoon plug was the hot lure of those days because it was designed to run at a specific depth. You were also advised to run those lures over the tops of the weed growth. something today's angler avoids like a bad rash.

Is running a SP over the tops of weed growth some a Plugger should be trying to do?
Thank-You ! Buck Perry
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

Hal,
When the weeds or brush are present, and when they grow down to certain depths, then yes you should be running the lure just above the weed/brush growth. Not all weeds grow to the surface. Same for brush out here. If your weeds are topping out at say,,,,10 feet, and growing on down to 20 feet, but topping out at 15 then you should be running the lures JUST over the tops at 10 and on down to 20 or whatever depth they end at.
There may, and usually is a breakline that you cant see that is covered with weeds. The fish know it is there. Running the lures ( different sizes) just barely over the tops will catch you some fish.
This is what makes the Spoonplug such a great lure. It will run at a certain depth, with a certain amount of line out, and stay there.
So if the top of the weeds are at 12 feet then a short line 100 will do the job. You can RIP the SP along as it hits an occasional weed.
This is all in the Green Book and HSC.

Brush is a little different, in that it tends to hang your lure alot more. It depends on what type of brush you have. Old thinned out brush will usually not be a problem. But out here we have Mesquite and Cat Claw. Two of the toughest, tightest brush anywhere to be found. Some of this stuff is growing down to 35 feet or more. Tough to keep even a Spoonplug!
I have another method I use to work the brush. It should be published in the next National Spoonplugger Newsletter.
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
Hal Standish
700 series

Post by Hal Standish »

Thanks Steve for the clarification. makes perfect sense.

Update on Monday.. Running the tops of weeds with a 500,400,250 and 100 work like a charm LM bass, walleye, crappie and even a bullgill. Has me looking at my lakes in whole new light. Thanks again!
Thank-You ! Buck Perry
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

Glad it worked out for you.

Research has shown that we need to read or watch a video at least 6 times to retain even 80% of what we read or watch.
This is why we really need to STUDY Bucks material! Then we learn even more when we apply it on the water.

It is ALL there in Bucks material. You and I just have to glean it!
Steve
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!