New Boat...

A place to post topics other than spoonplugging.
Fran Myers
JB1

New Boat...

Post by Fran Myers »

I ordered a new Alumacraft boat in December. Wanted a higher side boat for the big water lake I am on. My Ranger is Great but the low sides and tendency to spear waves...well let’s just say that while big water fishing for one week is ok, now that I am on big water mostly - I want a higher sided boat. Funny, I like boats that keep the water out.

Was told that Alumacraft would start building my boat March 1st. I expected delivery around first week of April. Have ordered previously written about Mack Daddy Garmin setup in December. Thought I might take Alumacraft to StClair this year. But I am not so sure right now.
You see the Electronics are not here. Garmin has given me no idea how much longer although I am hoping they ship next week.

For a distraction, I have been buying stuff for the past couple weeks. Lithium and AGM batteries. Marine wire, fuse blocks, electrical gauges.
Had built up a sizable pile.

Drove up to the cabin last Thursday because I had workmen coming. Just a quick day trip. My boat dealer is next to freeway on the way to the lake. As I saw them go past I decided to call them to see if they had a delivery date yet. “Oh, it’s here. Got here last week” Great, when will it be done. Well we should start it next week and you should have it end of next week, beginning of the following. Very cool. I have the batteries I said I provide. When do you want them? I don’t know let me call you back...

Great conversation despite boat people not remembering what they have to do for me. Gal calls me back right away. Tells me she needs them tomorrow. Ok It’s a problem but I did it. Just before I hang up she says they only issue they have is that the TILLER handle is back ordered And they don’t know When it’s coming in...my response was both colorful and to the point.

So hey my new boat is here and they’ll start putting it together next week. UGH good thing I have two boats I guess
Fran Myers
MuskyAddict
200 series

Re: New Boat...

Post by MuskyAddict »

Fran,
I’ve been hearing the same. Electronics, trolling motors, even boats are rolling out slowly and hard to find. How was the ice depth at the cabin? I’m hoping for an early ice out. I need to get my beast out of storage and ready to go.
Ken
Ken Smith, Minnesota

"If you asked me what I thought was the most important thing we have to master in becoming a great fisherman, I'd have to say it is in our ability to "interpret" the fishing situation"
-Buck Perry
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

I HATE ice fishing so I’d be the last one to ask. The heard rumors of 2 or 3 feet though
Fran Myers
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

Fran
Thank you again for the Alumacraft tip!!!
It is an awesome boat. I know you are going to love yours when it gets done.
My 60hp Honda is super stingy on fuel! Gets better gas mileage than my old 40!

Sorry about the Electronics. These days there is a shortage of everything. Paint, painting sundries, all kinds of lumber products. Out here been told no OSB to be had anywhere.
Prices have doubled, and even quadrupled on some products. It is not just the e-tronics it seems.

Hope you get it soon.
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
Fran Myers
JB1

Re: New Boat...Chapter 2

Post by Fran Myers »

Hello,
Am definitely NOT taking new Alumacraft to StClair next month.

Most of the stuff I ordered for the new boat is in except the tiller handle. This is supposed to be in before the end of March so that is all really good news.

The not so good news is the electronics. I stumble onto a REALLY great opportunity for Garmin Electronics. Ordered them mid January then called every 2 or 3 weeks after was told the order was supposedly submitted. Flash ahead 3 months and still no word. Very frustrating.

I called my contact and said new boat was in and I hadn't heard anything about electronics. What’s up?
Later that day I find out that the order had never reached the gal who fills the orders, the rep and my contact didn’t have my information, order, or CC anymore. Not cool.

I was able to submit both orders and later found out that both the transducers I wanted and the LiveScope were both back ordered 5-8 more weeks. UGH! Now MOST of the stuff is in progress. In fact I got a box of cables and an antenna today. There should be a couple of the units this week so maybe one of the boats can be fitted out fairly soon but mine could be out until MAY.

Unfortunately, it’s not like I can complain or take my business elsewhere. I’m getting a huge discount and I think this is how they get their blood out of me.
Fran Myers
MuskyAddict
200 series

Post by MuskyAddict »

Sorry to hear Fran. Something tells me you won’t skip a beat in catching fish while waiting for the new. If you just want to practice the different features you’re welcome to come in my boat to check out the features. I don’t have Garmin but I have the Solix Humminbird units fully networked to TM and Talons. I have auto pilot, auto chart, mega SI and Mega DI.

Also, I don’t know if it’s too late or if your deal was too sweet but you may want to check out Hodges Marine in Oldsmar FL. I found these guys to have a great inventory and decent prices.

Ken
Ken Smith, Minnesota

"If you asked me what I thought was the most important thing we have to master in becoming a great fisherman, I'd have to say it is in our ability to "interpret" the fishing situation"
-Buck Perry
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

I appreciate the offer but I have a fully dressed boat with Side and downscan. Everything just needs a good cleaning and organization.
Fran Myers