Newby Structure Fisherman looking for used equipment

Looking to BUY,SELL or TRADE any of your fishing equipment? Post it here.
Bmills_Lake_Chic_TN

Newby Structure Fisherman looking for used equipment

Post by Bmills_Lake_Chic_TN »

Hi Everyone:

I was very happy to find this site and glad to see there are still spoonpluggers actively posting here. As you can see from the subject of this post I am new to structure fishing, in fact I just finished reading the Green Book all the way through for the 1st time. I would love to find a used set of the Home Study Course and Advanced Guide books if anyone has a set to sell or donate. I also would love to find any used trolling rods if anyone has extras or are no longer using and want to sell. I have managed to collect 6 Penn 109 reels, but don't have any rods to attach them to and really can't afford top pay $110 for each rod NEW from Buck's Baits. Finally I just bought a 16' Carolina Skiff with a 40 HP Johnson tiller handle motor and can't wait to start trolling and putting what I've read to practice. But, the boat has Lowrance Hook 5 Sonar on the back and a Hook 4x Sonar on the trolling motor, but would really love to have one of the v=vintage Structure Meters Don Dickson used to have produced. So please let me know if anyone has any structure fishing tools they are looking to donate or sell to a newby structure fisherman. Happy fishing everyone hope to see you on the water someday.

Bobby Mills- Lake Chicamauga, TN
bmills2101@gmail.com
Steve Craig
JB2

Re: Newby Structure Fisherman looking for used equipment

Post by Steve Craig »

Bobby,
First welcome to the Forum. Do a search through many of the back posts here. Alot of great info to be gained.
I can help you out with a set of used Home Study course. Just PM me your address.

If you would like some good advice, spend the money for a trolling rod. It will be the best investment you will make. We spend huge amounts on Depth Finders, boats, motors, lures, Casting rods etc., dont fudge on these rods. They provide perfect feel that you can not get from another rod. You will be limiting your success in the long run.

The Hooks are a great depth finder, As far as the Meter type that Buck used, and Don Dicksons meter, they are long gone, unless you can get someone to turn loose of one.

There are several Spoonpluggers on here from your area. Maybe they will chime in.
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
Scott Duff
250 series

Post by Scott Duff »

Bobby,
Welcome! Yes, this forum is a great resource with tremendous knowledge and experience within the group! Like you, I was glad to know people are still doing this when getting started 20+ years ago and made the decision to build it from the ground up. Sure glad I did. In addition to the treasure-trove on this site, be sure to check out CSI Chase Klinesteker's Spoonplugging website: chasesfishes.com. You will find a wealth of thoughtful, concise and practical articles on many topics.

What Steve said about the Buck's trolling rod is absolutely correct. We all got started the best way that we could for our own situation at the time. Since you are doing the whole thing at once (boat included), I can point you to a stout 5' trolling rod to look at with the same fuji handle and fuji guides to help get you started. Send me a PM. This would also work as a wire rod down the road.

Yes, that Hook is nice and I would definitely keep it in the boat! Since you are thinking vintage, I have a couple of Eagle Silent Sixty-One flashers I can part with that still have some life in them (w/new transducer & bracket plus wires/connectors). Quite a few of us run a flasher and graph side-by-side..many advantages to this.

Best of luck to you in your structure fishing quest!

Scott Duff
jwt
800 series

Post by jwt »

Welcome to the forum Bobby. I have a spare, brand new, unopened set of the Home Study series and a first edition of the green book packed up and ready to ship. Someone else was interested in them but I never heard back from him. Years ago I was in the same position as you; they are yours at no cost. You just pay postage. Let me know if you're interested. I think Steve and Scott will confirm this is not a scam.
Scott Duff
250 series

Post by Scott Duff »

jwt,
Nice move by you to do that...always willing to step up. 8-)
Good to see you back on the board.
Scott
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

Bobby,
You cant mess with the deal JWT just gave you!!! James is a good guy!
Ill hang on to mine for someone else!
Steve
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
jwt
800 series

Post by jwt »

Bobby do you live on Hixon Pike in Hixon? I never heard from you, but that box has been sitting in my office addressed and ready to go for months!
Dave Reed
500 series

Post by Dave Reed »

Did he ever get back to you? I'd like to get it if not.
jwt
800 series

Post by jwt »

Yes he did. Are you Dave Reed Citadel Class of '59?
Dave Reed
500 series

Post by Dave Reed »

No sir that's not me.