Buck had an amazing life - Facts and tidbits

Articles, writings and words of wisdom from Mr. Perry
Jim Shell
Site Admin

Buck had an amazing life - Facts and tidbits

Post by Jim Shell »

This july 15th, Buck would have turned 107! Hard to believe he's been gone for nearly 17 years. We all know about all of his contributions to fishing, but he has done soo many other things. Every time there was a jamboree, outing, or get together there was always some new story that was told. Many of us said back then that Buck should have written an autobiography. I'm going to share a few things. Others, please add your info about Buck too!

He manufactured a lot more then just fishing equipment. I was told back in the day he had many employees working at the factory. he made sleeping bags and golf clubs. Not sure of the timeline, but I would guess during the 50's. I believe the golf clubs were high end at the time, and some pros used them.

He also manufactured smoke detectors. He tested everyone, and that's what caused him to lose part of his hearing in one ear.

His favorite cookies were Ginger snaps!

He was an avid bird watcher.

I heard him tell this story at the 1st Jamboree-- After the war there were a lot of surplus items. He bought a warehouse full of fractional HP motors. I don't recall the exact price he paid, but it was around 20 cents per motor and by the end of that same day he sold them all for 8X what he paid for them!

When I spent 4 days with him in 1991 I saw a picture of his son. I don't know much about him, but he looked exactly like Buck.

We all went out to dinner when I was down there in 1991. We had catfish fiddlers (fried whole catfish). First thing he did was break off the tail and eat it. He said it was his favorite. I remember that because that is also my favorite! (and I thought it was just me!)

I know he had a very big academic life. I don't recall the details (maybe someone will add to this). He would occasionally give the professors at the university an advance course/lecture. Not sure on what.

He also use to manufacture some kind of metal part that the furniture manufacturers were always in need of. He said each part was a total cost (labor/material) of 12 cents for him to make, and would sell them for $2 each. I do recall that it was as late as the early 90's that he was always being asked to make them. He turned them down as he didn't have the time to do so.

I know he also had quite the athletic upcoming also. I don't recall all the facts, so maybe someone else can chime in on that.

The above is probably just scratching the surface. Please add what you may know. I really wish there was an autobiography written on him.
“The day you become selfish in your fishing is the day your fishing growth stops” – Buck Perry
https://www.youtube.com/user/spnplg1
John Bales
JB2

Re: Buck had an amazing life - Facts and tidbits

Post by John Bales »

I heard a few of those same stories right from the horses mouth. The one where he bought all those motors and resold them at a good profit. The furniture parts story but at the time he had 5 cents in the part and sold it for a dollar. He said China undersold him and put him right out of the picture. He was a very good football player and played quarterback. I was shown a trophy from his playing days. At one of the outings, he told of buying a few acres of land near his house for 600 per acre. He said he held on to it for a few years and sold it for 600 an acre. Then he started laughing and said 600,000 per acre. Wal Mart bought it. He had a terrific mind, above the normal human thinker. I love how he put his findings on paper. No big words, very easily understood, and the truth of the basics of what makes a fish tick. I was never a reader but when I picked up the green book, I could not put it down. The best times were in the evenings around the camp fires listening to him speak. Or any time he spoke. I feel bad for anyone who had never got to meet him. Genius!!!! He picked up a 100 spoonplug one day and started telling me about the design. The lip gives it depth, the wings along the side give the action and the tail wings give stability. The action you want, a slow wobble or a tight action can be had by speeding up the boat or slowing it down. The depth and speed of this lure cannot be duplicated by any other lure. This is how we have control of our fishing. John
Team9nine
800 series

Re: Buck had an amazing life - Facts and tidbits

Post by Team9nine »

His obituary covered a lot of his early career/sporting stuff well: https://www.bucksspoonplugs.com/Elwood- ... 5_b_5.html

I did dig up a few other things this morning:

Buck was "best man" at his brother's (Chester Perry) wedding in 1934. Chester worked with his (and Buck's) dad at Perry Armature Co. in Hickory.

As a junior at Lenoir-Rhyne college, he played outfield and pitched, and was elected captain of the 1937 baseball team. He was also selected to the all-conference team that year. His batting average was .309

He was elected co-captain of the football team in 1936. He was a "triple-threat backfield star" playing half-back and quarterback positions, and later moved to tail-back position. He was also awarded the MVP that year.

He was a mechanical engineering instructor at State College in 1942-43

He patented the Spoonplug in 1946, formed Buck's Baits, and it was starting to get press in Florida in 1948, and local (NC) newspaper press in 1950.

BP1.JPG
BP1.JPG (35.42 KiB) Viewed 5257 times
BP2.JPG
BP2.JPG (34.36 KiB) Viewed 5257 times