Spoonplugging Boat

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
MuskyAddict
200 series

Spoonplugging Boat

Post by MuskyAddict »

Thanks to the assistance (and prodding 😂) from Fran Myers and John Bales, I was able to acquire a 15’ Troller Pro Structure over the winter. I had it out a couple of times crappie fishing this spring but yesterday was the first time using it in an attempt to follow contours, breaklines and weed-lines. It was a train wreck, as you all know, but I have to admit that these smaller and more nimble boats are a game changer. I am one of those who thought spending an obsessive amount of money on a 21’ Ranger and up to date electronics would make me a better fisherman. After 3 years of mostly failure on my Ranger I bought the Troller. After one day I can see why this community insists on using these boats to arrive at the fish. Now I am a believer!

It was not a successful fishing day. I lost a bump board on my trailer, I drifted into a dock because I wasn’t paying attention, I couldn’t hold the breaklines if my life depended upon it and I kept fouling my hooks …. you get the picture. But, that is an amazing boat and bumping lures on clean bottom is extremely satisfying. I did manage 1 bluegill and got bit off by what I suspect was a pike so it wasn’t a complete skunk.

But I want this thread to be a thanks to all of you for your encouragement to get the boat. I also want to say a special thanks to Fran, Bales and John’s brother in law for helping me get this boat and equipping it with everything I need. If anyone reading this is on the fence about getting the proper boat allow me to encourage you to do so. I too was a skeptic but after only one trip I can understand (in my head, not skill set) why it makes all the difference.
Ken Smith, Minnesota

"If you asked me what I thought was the most important thing we have to master in becoming a great fisherman, I'd have to say it is in our ability to "interpret" the fishing situation"
-Buck Perry
Steve Craig
JB2

Re: Spoonplugging Boat

Post by Steve Craig »

Ken,
LOL! We all been there.
It will come, it will come.
Just keep doing what you're doing.
It only gets better from here.
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
Bink
800 series

Post by Bink »

Ken
Don’t worry about following the breakline with the boat….. work more on keeping your plug on the breakline. Your boat will never be glued to the breakline
"Spoonpluging is a good way to catch all fish but not the best way to catch any fish
MuskyAddict
200 series

Post by MuskyAddict »

Bink wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:23 pm Ken
Don’t worry about following the breakline with the boat….. work more on keeping your plug on the breakline. Your boat will never be glued to the breakline
Thank you. Yes, an important distinction that the guys here in MN keep emphasizing.
Ken Smith, Minnesota

"If you asked me what I thought was the most important thing we have to master in becoming a great fisherman, I'd have to say it is in our ability to "interpret" the fishing situation"
-Buck Perry
Scott Duff
250 series

Post by Scott Duff »

Ken, Interesting stuff! I saw your Pro Structure boat at the Indiana Outing...great boat, cool history. I've been in my '97 Troller 1502 also from Indiana for 22 yrs now (front livewell model). Have to agree, it was a game-changer back then and still suits my approach today. While still in good shape, I gave it a ground-up refresh in '16 because I wanted it around for many years. Got lucky and found a real pro boat guy in my area who took an interest in its design and did complete disassembly, interior refit and upgrades including below decks. The hull was fine and transom had no problems whatsoever. I added a custom transom cap to protect it. Went to another shop for outside hull detail. Came out like new or better. The surprise was this guy came in under cost estimate, and after trailer fixes and bedliner spray, new motor, and cover it still cost far less than the no-frills boat package I would have bought. So it came out pretty sweet and like yours should be on the water for a long time. As you know, the Troller / Pro Structure 15' is a unique tool on so many levels. No boat can grant our every wish (we'd all like a Morton building with 3-4 boats, tow vehicles and shop, right?), but it is a great boat for what it was designed to do and for my needs (including casting!). Thanks for the updates. Scott
CHAMP
700 series

Post by CHAMP »

Scott I would love to see your boat if u don't mind posting some pics.
David Powell
Scott Duff
250 series

Post by Scott Duff »

Here are some pics attached below. Ken's Pro Structure model and this '97 Troller 1502 are about the same design (front 48" livewell across bow, "cap" along port and starboard gunwales, rear "battery storage box" with cushion lid, usually seen with 25/30 hp 4-stroke but Don Dickson always uses max rated 40 hp 2-stroke). The 2-stroke Etec 25 shown has more torque and less weight than the Honda 25 did which improved performance even with increased pounds from materials and bow motor/lead battery. Torque is helpful on this boat due to its Allison-inspired hull design. I used transom mounted electric for years but weight in the bow dramatically quickens planing when fishing with a partner, and of course allowed for much more flexibility casting. Some rebuild lessons: In the refit, Bottoms-up installed thicker/heavier marine grade material, 6 fore to aft stringers custom cut below main floor with an open center channel for livewell hose and drainage, these materials were all epoxy bonded and sealed to create unified structure of hull-stringers-floor, then cavities filled with closed cell foam. I can jump up and down on the floor of the boat and its solid as a rock. All thru-deck deck holes were either over drilled then redrilled thru resin-fill (storage box fittings), or else filled with 5200 (seat bases, trolling motor pedal and arm bracket, gas tank and portable storage box tie-down straps). Transom carpet was removed, foam blocks recut and then simply covered with brushed on gel coat (that saved $500-boat is for fishing not the boat show :lol: ). All other detail and trim located new same as original. The cover is on file with Riggs Bros. from various Troller owners in the Chicago area. They are happy to modify, make repairs, add gussets or fitting to match changes made like tie downs or different motor size. Because of the cover and box store floor mats I never have to wash the inside of the boat and the nets and slop have a place to drain/dry (just shop vac carpet). Cleaner: Ducky Original Water Spot Remover (awesome product, spay on & wipe off-no rinse, looks like boat was waxed, use on all fiberglass/hull/motor/sonars, unfortunately not for aluminum boats). I was allowed pics of the tear-down and rebuild process so if that info could help anyone who owns a Troller/Pro Structure feel free to contact me. Scott
Attachments
1-full portside.pdf
(648.09 KiB) Downloaded 2727 times
2-fwd view no seat.pdf
(1.93 MiB) Downloaded 2737 times
3-fwd view mat net seat.pdf
(2.08 MiB) Downloaded 2617 times
4-fwd view mat net no seat.pdf
(2.14 MiB) Downloaded 2724 times
5-starboard abaft.pdf
(1.9 MiB) Downloaded 2700 times
6-port abaft.pdf
(1.9 MiB) Downloaded 2747 times
7-Cover.pdf
(1 MiB) Downloaded 2784 times
CHAMP
700 series

Post by CHAMP »

Thanks, very nice
David Powell
Scott Duff
250 series

Post by Scott Duff »

Just wish the name could have stayed "Pro Structure". The "Troller" name (Troller Boat Corp.) pointed out a strength of the boat but IMO inadvertently sent the wrong message about structure fishing and reinforced a common misconception about spoonplugging. The boat for its size is actually very good for casting.
MuskyAddict
200 series

Post by MuskyAddict »

Wow Scott! Nicely done. She’s a beauty. Now I have some ideas on changes to mine. 😂😂
Ken Smith, Minnesota

-Buck Perry
TN Dave
100 series

Post by TN Dave »

Scott

Terrific remodeling job on the boat. Much improved over the original boats. Looks as if you are in good shape for years of Spoonplugging.

Good Fishing
TN Dave
DougBush
400 series

Post by DougBush »

Hello Tennessee Dave.
Good to see you're still around...(me too)
Doug Bush