Buck Sez...

Articles, writings and words of wisdom from Mr. Perry
DougBush
400 series

Re: Buck Sez...

Post by DougBush »

jwt wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:08 pm Thanks Douglas. Is that a U.S. Navy vet hat you are wearing?
Yes it is. I did 3 years on the flight deck of the USS Lexington CVA-16,out of San Diego. 1956-1960.
I was a yellow shirt plane director in division V-1. I caught 'em at the 3rd wire on recoveries and worked the starboard cat most of the time on launches. Sometimes back aft bringing the AD's forward before launching the jets..F4D's and AD3's (the jets were always launched last).
Always on Far East cruises...Eisenhower kept us over there it seemed like.
You must be an old sea dog also to have noticed that cap?
Last edited by DougBush on Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Garry B
200 series

Post by Garry B »

Doug, thank you for your service.

Garry
jwt
800 series

Post by jwt »

Bravo Zulu! Well whadaya know! Another bird farmer! Famous ship, the Lex, a.k.a "The Blue Ghost". Judging from the absence of a Mickey Mouse hat that is not during air ops Don't recognize that bird behind you. Old sea dog is right. I'm on my way to 85. My time was a couple of years later on the flight deck of USS Independence CVA-62. East coast, i.e. 2nd Fleet and 6th fleet. Home port was Norfolk, VA. Independence went of Bremerton, WA to be cut up for scrap with the rest of the Forrestal class carriers. Also spent some time TAD on USS Laffey DD-724. She is now a Patriot's Point in Mt Pleasant, SC.
DougBush
400 series

Post by DougBush »

jwt wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:59 pm Bravo Zulu! Well whadaya know! Another bird farmer! Famous ship, the Lex, a.k.a "The Blue Ghost". Judging from the absence of a Mickey Mouse hat that is not during air ops Don't recognize that bird behind you. Old sea dog is right. I'm on my way to 85. My time was a couple of years later on the flight deck of USS Independence CVA-62. East coast, i.e. 2nd Fleet and 6th fleet. Home port was Norfolk, VA. Independence went of Bremerton, WA to be cut up for scrap with the rest of the Forrestal class carriers. Also spent some time TAD on USS Laffey DD-724. She is now a Patriot's Point in Mt Pleasant, SC.
How do you go from duty on the flight deck of a flattop as an airdale to TAD on a tin can?
You gotta' be a bosun's mate???????????