Old fishing forums

Articles, writings and words of wisdom from Mr. Perry
John Bales
JB2

Old fishing forums

Post by John Bales »

Every once in a while I go to a forum where fishermen discuss spoonplugging. For most of the time, once I go through these things, my blood boils, sometimes I laugh. Sometimes I realize that Mr. Perry took this kind of punishment for all of his life and wonder how he was able to handle it without having a bunch of bodies buried in his back yard. So many have said that they have tried it and failed and some for long periods of time and still come up with it was a scam. Lots try and question his findings. Brian was there on some of these posts and I did enjoy some of that.
Makes me believe that just maybe spoonplugging may be more difficult to learn than some other fishing methods and this could be part of why it has never been accepted by the mass. If a fisherman does not see success after a period of time, how can he understand the good in it?
It also brings back what George P said at the beginning of the green book that most are lazy and do not follow directions well. Most of these forums do nothing but make me upset with the stupid fisherman but then realize that they just don't know and they never did enough work on the water to see it's goodness and that it is all true. Not outdated, not prehistoric, all 100% proven as fact. To this day, not much has changed from the last 50 years although there are a few that have listened to what Mr. Perry said and used their own tools to make a catch. There is much knowledge that will only be understood by a fisherman who has become a great troller. As Mr. Perry said, trolling is our teacher. This is the part that is missing by those who make statements to put down Mr. Perry's teachings. They have never taken the time to do it correctly and did not see the success it takes to take in the knowledge and breed the burning desire to learn more. None of the statements they made would have been said if they would have had just a small bit of success. All the other methods of fishing that is learned once you become a good troller and mapper is only complimented by spoonplugging knowledge. John
Steve Craig
JB2

Re: Old fishing forums

Post by Steve Craig »

If it is and has always been a scam, then man.......have I ever been taken in!!!! LOL!

How is it a scam for Buck to tell us we dont need a 50 to 60 thousand dollar bass boat?
How are we scammed if Buck says that Knowledge is the Key?
How is it a scam if he told us we dont have to be a precision caster to catch fish?
How is it a scam if he told us many times that he didnt care what lures/ equipment we used as long as they allowed us to control our depth and speed?
How did he scam us when he told us that Spoonplugging would NEVER be accepted by the masses?

The true scam is that we need the current magic lure, and that in order to catch fish we must have that expensive bass boat!
The scam is the people that read and used that Green Book and NEVER gave Buck the credit he so rightly deserved!

Maybe I have mellowed out as I have gotten older. Heck, I walked right up to Bobby Murry on time and flat out asked him why he didnt give Buck the credit, because i knew he had read the book and was using Bucks wording and teaching as his own at a seminar he was giving. Then the argument started! We both got a little hot! Today, I dont care what the rest of the fishermen have to say. If they are interested in it, then I am always available to help them learn what i have been taught. But if they run down Buck and his teachings, then I just look at them and tell them .."they dont know, they dont know"!!!!

No use arguing, and getting hot under the collar anymore, as It only hurts me. I cant afford to make my blood boil these days!!
Best to just let them wallow in their ignorance.
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
FlexD

Post by FlexD »

I have heard it here in Texas as well. I spoke with John the other day and we discussed Buck Perrys way of fishing and spoonplugs, and though I really never used them I'm not one to knock them, I firmly believe in what Buck Perry says, and this time I'm taking the dive after first purchasing the material in the late 80's. No one I talked to at that time would even listen to me, so now I'm faced with the dilemma again, my fishing partner will not go for this I'm 99.9% sure, he's set in his ways and we catch fish mainly fishing the 8-10 depth, though most are in the 1-2LB range, but from what I've read and believe 100% we're missing out on the bigger school, as the lay deeper down the on the structure. Maybe just 1 guy I fish will give this a go with me cause I don't like fishing alone.
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

RD,
Its ok if your friend doesnt want to fish "that way", so to speak.
Get you a smaller 14 foot boat and motor, and go out and MAP your structures on your own.
Then you and your friend can go out together and simply cast all the spots you found. It will take longer to figure out, but at least you havent lost a friend.
Next, I would find a different lake. without all the trees if possible.
If that is not an option, then you CAN troll the shallows, even if stumps and brush are there.
I have a lake here that is loaded right now with Mesquite trees from the shallows down to about 30 feet.
A very good Spoonplugger back east told me to simply troll a BIG 2 1/2 ounce Musky sized spinnerbait right through all that brush and trees.
It works wonderfully! AND I dont lose any lures.Just keep that lure bumping bottom from time to time, and this is done either by slowing down or adding more weight to the lure via a Trolling sinker or a 3way Wolf River rig. The 3way will hang up more however.
So it is an option for you if you cant "get the heck out of the trees" as Buck would say.
FlexD

Post by FlexD »

Steve Craig wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:03 am RD,
Its ok if your friend doesnt want to fish "that way", so to speak.
Get you a smaller 14 foot boat and motor, and go out and MAP your structures on your own.
Then you and your friend can go out together and simply cast all the spots you found. It will take longer to figure out, but at least you havent lost a friend.
Next, I would find a different lake. without all the trees if possible.
If that is not an option, then you CAN troll the shallows, even if stumps and brush are there.
I have a lake here that is loaded right now with Mesquite trees from the shallows down to about 30 feet.
A very good Spoonplugger back east told me to simply troll a BIG 2 1/2 ounce Musky sized spinnerbait right through all that brush and trees.
It works wonderfully! AND I dont lose any lures.Just keep that lure bumping bottom from time to time, and this is done either by slowing down or adding more weight to the lure via a Trolling sinker or a 3way Wolf River rig. The 3way will hang up more however.
So it is an option for you if you cant "get the heck out of the trees" as Buck would say.
Steve,
What type of boat do you have, do you mind sending me or posting pictures
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Bottom line. If you want what some of us have, You have to be willing to do what ever it takes to get it. Lots of time on the water, following Mr. Perry's guidelines to a tee, that will include a tiller boat, the purchase of each size lures, rods reels, lines, study the material from front to back over and over. Put forth maximum effort, not minimum. Maybe in a few years, you can laugh at what you used to do. This is not for everyone, only the ones who have the burning desire to do what it takes to get it. The guys will help you but you must show you can help yourself. Been doing this for 48 years now and still learning.John
FlexD

Post by FlexD »

John Bales wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:30 pm Bottom line. If you want what some of us have, You have to be willing to do what ever it takes to get it. Lots of time on the water, following Mr. Perry's guidelines to a tee, that will include a tiller boat, the purchase of each size lures, rods reels, lines, study the material from front to back over and over. Put forth maximum effort, not minimum. Maybe in a few years, you can laugh at what you used to do. This is not for everyone, only the ones who have the burning desire to do what it takes to get it. The guys will help you but you must show you can help yourself. Been doing this for 48 years now and still learning.John
John,
I hear everything your saying, I do have some concerns regarding a tiller boat which I'm not opposed of purchasing, but I'm 6'2" and weigh 240, so I would need something very comfortable and stable and preferably fiberglass. I've read that some tiller boats get you pretty wet, I'd prefer one that did not. Can any of you guys lead me in a direction towards a good tiller boat, I'm going to start researching them and read about them as I have never fished or been in one. There are not very many around North Texas.
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

RD,
Look in the BUY SELL TRADE section. There is a really nice Ranger for sale there. i can vouch for the seller as honest and the boat will be in great shape.
My own boat is a 2003 16 foot Lund Rebel with a 40hp Honda. It has all I need and can handle bigger water with no problem.
I am currently looking to up grade to just a newer boat, and I am looking towards the new AlumaCraft in a 17 footer if possible.
I started out in 1975 with a 12 foot Fisher Marine and a 5hp Evinrude. Then later got a 15 foot Fisher Marine with a 15hp Johnson. I always thought it was perfect. Then I bought a 13 foot Troller (fiberglass) from Don Dickson's promotion company. It was also a great boat, but not made for big water.
After moving to AZ., I ran a 14 foot Lowe with a 20hp Honda and loved it until I got my Lund. I love this boat.
You just have to find one that you are comfortable in and with.