Depth and speed question

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
MuskyAddict
200 series

Depth and speed question

Post by MuskyAddict »

I’ve been curious for a while of the correlation between depth and speed on the fishing situation. We all know that depth and speed are the most important of the 5 things we can control as fishermen. I believe Mr. Perry said it makes up 80% of the determination of our fishing success or failure. I’m curious about something that I think those with FFS can answer.

In my own learning it seems that depth is the most important. After all, “we can’t catch fish where they ain’t”. But once we’re are at the correct depth, is speed somewhat flexible? For example, if I catch fish using a drop shot on a 12’ breakline using long pauses, could I be more efficient slow rolling a swim bait along the 12’ breakline? I know the short answer is “I need to check it out”. And, for those of us without FFS, perhaps that is all we can do. I’m curious if those with FFS, and can see how fish relate to their presentation, if you’ve found the fish will bite at different presentation speeds as long as you are at that depth?

The answer isn’t going to change the way I fish. I’m just curious if there is value in challenging speed while catching fish if it helps me be more efficient.

Ken
Ken Smith, Minnesota

"If you asked me what I thought was the most important thing we have to master in becoming a great fisherman, I'd have to say it is in our ability to "interpret" the fishing situation"
-Buck Perry
Team9nine
800 series

Re: Depth and speed question

Post by Team9nine »

Absolutely - IMO. For example, one structure situation I have here is a roadbed that runs across the lake and is anywhere from 1’-3’ above the basin depth, and pretty much 9’ to 12’ on top. Some days I catch them trolling Spoonplugs at 2-4 mph banging the road; some days a deep crank cast and retrieved at that same depth triggers bites; and some days, a shakey head or Ned fished slow over the road gets bit. Depending on the day, one of those presentations usually prevails and provides most all the bites. But, many times, all three presentations will catch some fish, often equally. This is especially true if you sit on a spot and fish for some length of time where you might be there before or after an activity period, but are also there for some portion of the active period.
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Without FFS, you as a fisherman(spoonplugger) have no choice but to use depth and speed to make your catch using the mechanical process to eliminate unproductive water and arrive at the fish. You could go through all the motions and after catching nothing, you still don't know if the fish are there or not. So you continue to move to another area or spot and do your thing while waiting for the fish to become active. If you do everything right(control of depths and speeds), when the fish become active, you make your catch. The FFS guys who cast may see the fish but may not be able to catch them for the same reasons you cannot. There could be a group of bass on a spot that you can throw the kitchen sink at them and use all the depths and speeds you can imagine with every lure in your box and cannot make them eat your stuff. But come back to that spot an hour later and make a great catch and have every fish in that school trying to eat your offering. Buck said they may get active once or twice a day and it is so much easier to catch them when they do get active. During those times in between, you may get a fish or two by bumping the bottom or I may be able to put a lure very close to a good bass at Zero speed and he may suck it in. We are all waiting for the fish to become active during a fishing day and if we are doing things right , we will both know when it happens. I would never suggest anyone get involved with FFS who does not have at least ten years of experience spoonplugging. Why? Because in order to understand what you might see, you will need to already know the basics very well to understand what you are looking at. If you jump into FFS too soon, you will not have the time needed to learn the very basics of what spoonplugging is all about and the knowledge that will come with these years of effort.John
MuskyAddict
200 series

Post by MuskyAddict »

Thanks Brian and John. This is just one of many questions that rattle in my brain. It seems that the more I fish I may get an answer or two but I also think of a half dozen new questions. Last season I observed that I could troll a breakline with a Spoonplug and catch nothing. But if I turned around and trolled the same breakline at the same trolling speed with a DT rapala, I caught fish. My interpretation was the tighter wiggle (action) of the rapala was a form of speed control and it was what the fish wanted. The next day it may be the opposite. But then I observe videos of other boats casting with 2-3 guys in a boat and fishing completely different lure types. I know their lure speeds are opposite each other (ie. TRD and swim jig) and they get a double. I then ask myself “if fish are active will they bite regardless of the speed as long as you are at the right depth”.

I was just curious what the FFS guys were learning and if there is more knowledge we can gain. I have no interest in using FFS for the same reasons John said earlier. I want to learn to walk before I run. But I am willing to learn from those who use them.

I can’t wait until this ice goes away and I can get back to work. Thanks again for your responses.

Ken
Ken Smith, Minnesota

"If you asked me what I thought was the most important thing we have to master in becoming a great fisherman, I'd have to say it is in our ability to "interpret" the fishing situation"
-Buck Perry
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Trust me Ken, FFS has answered so many questions I have had but sometimes what is seen, there can be no answer for sure. One thing for sure and I have said this many times. Buck got it all right. He gave us what was needed and if a person will just follow his guidelines, the catching will come. For me, everything has been questioned from the start. I wanted every answer I could get and still searching for those things. It is about the learning but also the catching. The catching is the only way a person can measure his success. The bass will always be the fish that teaches you the most. If you can catch the bass often, the others just get in the way. The school is what I am always wanting. Weather and water does not allow it to happen all the time but over a season, it should happen often enough that if it doesn't , you should ask yourself why. Water color is important if you have it around you for consistent success. There is a magic depth if you have color(dark yellow green), and even then, don't expect to get the bigger bass shallower than ten feet. If that sounds familiar, he got that right too. If a person insists on whooping a deep clear lake, don't expect to get into the schools of big bass. Stay with good color and you will see. Time on the water is absolutely necessary in order to gain knowledge quickly along with following the guidelines. Some lakes don't have real good populations of big bass and you will find out in short order once the heat of the summer gets here and you are out there working. You have done well and it will only get better and you will find yourself wanting more and more. That's the way it works when a person is self motivated, something lacking in many. John
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

"" But if I turned around and trolled the same breakline at the same trolling speed with a DT rapala, I caught fish.""

Ken, not necessarily action. If you watch a DT and a Spoonplug on the troll, you will notice that the Spoonplug will run a pretty much straight line. When it hits an object, it will simply roll over it and keep going. When the DT is trolled, it will run in a straight path also, BUT......as it hits objects, it will shoot off to the right, then to the left, then back again, over and over. This is simply another Speed Control is all.
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
MuskyAddict
200 series

Post by MuskyAddict »

That’s very interesting, Steve. I did not know that. That’s something to consider when I’m trolling over rocks. Thank you.
Ken Smith, Minnesota

-Buck Perry