Lake Types & Spring Weather:

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
WMK

Lake Types & Spring Weather:

Post by WMK »

Choosing the proper lake type can be an important factor to having a productive spring outing. Lakes having characteristics that are smaller in scale, contain shallower basins (20' or less) possess darker color, and an abundance of the proper species (with respect to the calendar spawning cycle), will take the fisherman a long way towards fishing success.

Also, choosing lakes close to home is a great advantage, as they can be worked more frequently, and without extensive planning.

Walt
Jerry Borst
800 series

Post by Jerry Borst »

Walt,
Good to finally meet you at the winter seminar, your entire club did a great job!

Here in IL we have the option of the power plant cooling lakes and they are a great asset for getting a jump start to the new season. My kids and I hit LaSalle for a few on Sat. and water temps are near 70*. :shock:

For anyone who has not spent much time running or catch fish on 500's the cooling lakes are a great place to start. It dosn't get any easier than running miles of rip rap.
WMK

Post by WMK »

Wise choice, Jerry!! Cooling lakes would have to be the #1 choice, if the fisherman has that option.

Up until I moved to IN. LaSalle use to be the first lake I'd hit back in the early 90's. I preferred LaSalle over Braidwood and had some great times with those smallies... big ones, in that first hole, not too far from where that small house used to be. And as the season progressed, I'd move to the cooler holes.
I always wanted to get down to Powerton as well, but that never materialized.

Glad you enjoyed the seminar, and appreciated your input as well.

Walt