Fishing clear and weedy lakes.

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
JimD

Fishing clear and weedy lakes.

Post by JimD »

The lakes I fish in southern Michigan are crystal clear.Any special color spoonplugs I should be using? Also the lakes are very shallow and weedy.Any suggestions?
Questor

Post by Questor »

Any structure on the lakes?

Try fishing the deepest areas with the spoonplug. Use the spoonplugging method to map the lakes and look for good structure. Even small irregularities can be very significant.

Fish near the outside weedline too. Mark the edge of the weedline with markers. Troll with a short line to fish all the nooks and crannies of the weedline's edge. Personally, I don't like spoonplugs for this because better lures have been invented that don't foul as easily. Try a modern crankbait instead. Any brand that runs true will work. I like Bombers.

Then cast into the weeds with texas rigged worms and jigs.

Try fishing around dawn and twilight. Fish in clear lakes I've fished tend to go deep, and are most active near dark.

That's how I'd start out.

Do you have any other options besides these lakes? You'd gain a lot of flexibility in scheduling your fishing if you could fish a river or a murkier lake.